Maelstrom & Maelstrom Sans are reversed-stress typefaces. They’re “perverse”, to be sure, but that’s exactly their charm. They belong to a genre destined to be a perpetual typographic outsider — never fashionable yet never abandoned. Maelstrom’s razor-thin spacing is striking, forming narrow strips of light sparkling through the black mass. Maelstrom Sans’s uneasy mix of heavy horizontals and spindly diagonals make it feel fragile, like it could splinter at any moment.
- Kris Sowersby
- Noe Blanco Chester Jenkins
- Reversed-Stress Slab Serif Reversed-Stress Sans Serif
- Best Awards, Design Craft, Silver, 2019
- Specimens added to the Cooper Hewitt Collection, 2016
- Best Awards, Design Craft, Finalist, 2014
- Australian Design Biennale Distinction, 2014